In season 10, episode 5, we have an environmentally conscious Audio Files ready to go as we visit a recycling facility to discuss what happens to our plastic waste, how a local environmental group in Queens is taking steps to preserve the ecosystem around Flushing Creek, and visit residents in Brooklyn who are protesting the expansion of the North Brooklyn Pipeline and new vaporizers in their community.
Also in this episode:
- We speak with Joanna Lee and Caroline Smith, two Columbia University PhD students who are currently striking with the Student Workers of Columbia union.
- Aaron Tremper reports on how local researchers attempt to protect the turtles in Jamaica Bay.
- Yessenia Moreno examines the importance of healthcare proxies in the LGBTQ+ community, as a death of a prominent member of the queer community in Brooklyn spurred awareness to the issue.
- Our reporters Hannah Fullmer and Denny Jacob explore avenues to support local businesses in the forms of street vendors and bodegas.
- Fellow Newmark J student Sara Herschander discusses her group capstone project focusing on trans sex workers of color and sex work decriminalization in New York.
Host: Denny Jacob
Producer: K. Jared Wright
Associate Producers: Sarah Molano and Aaron Tremper
Reporters: Olivia Bensimon, Aaron Tremper, Syed Haq, Clark Adomaitis, Yessenia Moreno, Hannah Fullmer and Denny Jacob
Guests: Caroline Smith, Joanna Lee and Sara Herschander
Engineer: Chad Bernhard
Editors: Maggie Freleng and Kalli Anderson
Music by Clark Adomaitis, Aaron Tremper and Komiku